Bradford was platted in 1865 entirely within Darke County, and it incorporated in 1871. Its population was recorded at 243 by the 1870 Census. By 1890, the community had grown to 1,338 residents, the majority of whom lived in Miami County. Its growth was due to its location on the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad. At Bradford, the line from Pittsburgh split into a northern branch that went to Chicago and a southern branch that went to East St. Louis. The trains took on provisions and changed crews at Bradford, and some crew members found it a convenient place to live.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.88 square miles (2.28 km2), of which, 0.86 square miles (2.23 km2) is land and 0.02 square miles (0.05 km2) is water.
Ohio State Route 721, or Miami Avenue, is the main north-south road in the village and it also marks the county line between Darke County on the west and Miami County on the east. The Darke County portion of the village lies in Adams Township while the Miami County portion lies in Newberry Township. In Miami County it is approximately 12 miles from the County Seat Troy. In Darke County it is approximately 8 miles east of the County Seat of Greenville.
- Village of Bradford
- Bradford Exempted Village Schools
- Railroad Museum
- Look around town – powered by Google
- See More Reports ▼