NORTH STAR, OHIO
North Star was platted in 1852 along the road between Greenville and Celina, approximately midway between the two cities. Its name was derived from its location on the edge of the Great Black Swamp, as it was the northernmost point in Darke County that was not wetland.
A historic site in the village is St. Louis’ Catholic Church. Built in 1914, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.53 square miles (1.37 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 236 people, 88 households, and 59 families residing in the village. The population density was 445.3 inhabitants per square mile (171.9 /km2). There were 91 housing units at an average density of 171.7 per square mile (66.3 /km2). The racial makeup of the village was 100.0% White.
There were 88 households of which 29.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.7% were married couples living together, 5.7% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.7% had a male householder with no wife present, and 33.0% were non-families. 28.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.68 and the average family size was 3.36.
The median age in the village was 37 years. 30.1% of residents were under the age of 18; 5.1% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 23.8% were from 25 to 44; 18.7% were from 45 to 64; and 22.5% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 47.5% male and 52.5% female.