Founded in 1819, the village is named after the city of Versailles in France. Versailles was originally named Jacksonville. However, as a large number of early residents were of French descent, it was suggested that the village’s name be changed to “Versailles” in memory of their homeland. Versailles became the new name of the village in 1837.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.88 square miles (4.87 km2), of which, 1.87 square miles (4.84 km2) is land and 0.01 square miles (0.03 km2) is water.
- See More Reports ▼