Position Title: Naturalist – Full Time
(Naturalist / Outdoor Educator)
Location: Darke County Park District
4267 State Route 502 West
Greenville, Ohio 45331
Wage: Salaried and Commensurate with Experience
Base Rate of Pay: $25,500-$27,500
Benefits: Health Care Package, Paid Holidays (9), Accrued Vacation, Accrued Sick Leave, and Personal Leave. Member of Public Employees Retirement System (PERS)
Starting Date: January 5, 2015
Deadline for Applications: December 2, 2014
Darke County Parks is seeking a full time Naturalist / Outdoor Educator. Goals of the Park District are centered on the conservation and preservation of natural and cultural areas in Darke County to be used for educational programs for a wide variety of audiences including schools, youth groups and the general public.
Duties include participation in the full range of tasks associated with natural-history programming and interpretation, maintenance and operation of a Nature Education Center and parklands within the mission statement and consistent with the strategic plan of the Park District.
This is a full time position. Candidate must be flexible to work weekends, evenings, periodic Holidays, and long hours of work. All assigned duties are under the direct supervision of the Chief Naturalist. Applicant must be able to work outdoors under a wide range of weather conditions.
Representative tasks include:
- Assists naturalist staff to plan, develop, schedule and present programs on natural/cultural history topics for visiting school groups, civic organizations, Scouts, and the general public.
- Assumes co-lead with District’s “Naturalist-in-the-Classroom” Initiative. Develop, maintain and grow area school contacts and assist in scheduling of regular school visits and other Nature Center-based programming.
- Develops, constructs and maintains flat, dimensional and interactive displays, bulletin boards, and kiosks.
- Assumes a leadership role in the development and implementation of the current monthly Park P.A.L.S. and Junior Naturalists program.
- Participates with the Naturalist staff to accomplish a variety of week-long summer day camp experiences
- Provides basic customer service at the Nature Center during hours of operation; including weekends.
- Assists with the care of a small inventory of display animals and birds of prey.
- Provides support and participates in skill programs such as kayaking/canoeing, cycling, camping and hiking
- Aids in the implementation of land management policies and practices, to include controlled prairie burns.
- Must occasionally lift items in excess of 50 pounds
Minimum Associate’s Degree in Natural Sciences, Outdoor, Environmental Education/Interpretation, or a related field with additional programming experience desired
- Four-year degree preferred.
- Natural program development and presentation experience is strongly desired.
Successful candidate must possess competent speaking, organizational, writing, communication, and interpersonal relationship skills.
Must possess adequate computer skills including software applications such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Excel. Additional software experience with InDesign, and Dreamweaver highly desirable.
Candidate must possess a valid and current Ohio Driver’s license.
Successful Candidate must pass a criminal background check.
Candidate must be willing to submit to a drug test as requested.
Application procedure: Email cover letter, application and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications and Job Description are available on the Park District Website www.darkecountyparks.org. Applications will not be accepted through the USPS mail service, Fed Ex or UPS.