Was erected in December 1833, being taken from Richland; and was bounded as follows: beginning at the Northwest corner of Township 13 North, Range 2 East, thence south to the township line, thence east to the east line of Section 35, thence north to the township line, and west to the place of beginning. Subsequently, the parts of townships 14 and 15 lying directly north and of equal width with this, were added, but in 1839 were laid off into a new township called Allen.
John Woodington was the first settler in this township. He settled along Wayne’s “trace,” on land now owned by William Hurdman, in 1821. William and Abraham Teegarden, James Titus, Smith Marquis, James White, and Daniel Devall were all early settlers.
The first schoolhouse was put up in 1831, in Section 28. John Hoffman was the first teacher. Now there are seven schoolhouses in the township, and one in Dallas. In the Dallas district there are 104 male and 77 female children of school age–a total of 181. In the balance of the township there are 208 males and 156 females–a total of 364; or, including Dallas, of 545.
The first church was built by Abraham Teegarden in 1835 and 1836. There are now three churches in the township, viz.: one Methodist and one New Light in Dallas, and a New Light on the Ft. Recovery road.
Dallas (Ansonia P.O.) was laid out in 1845, and incorporated in 1867.
Ed Huff, Jr
Linda Wood, Fiscal Officer