Was erected in March 1841, being taken from the north end of Wayne Township and was bounded as follows: commencing on the east line of the county, at the southeast corner of Section 33, Township 11 North, Range 4 East, thence west to the southwest corner of Section 35, Township 12 North, Range 3 East (or to the east line of York Township), thence north to the county line, thence with the north line of the county to the northeast corner of the county, thence south to place of beginning. In 1848 the county line was changed from the old Indian boundary to the present north line of the county, thus cutting off a part of Patterson Township at the north end; and in the same year sections 2, 11, 14, and 23 of Township 12 North, Range 3 East, were taken into Wabash Township.
Isaac Finkbone, who settled in 1827 or `28, on land now owned by John Long, was the first in the township. About the same time, Philip Pittsenbarger “squatted” on land now owned by J. F. Cofield. John Lampy also came about the same time, but only remained a short while. James Patterson, Sr. was the second landowner that settled in the township. Richard and Thomas Mendenhall and John Day were also early settlers.
The first schoolhouse was put up, by subscription, in 1842, on land now owned by Samuel Day; A. L. Wilson was the first schoolteacher. There are now in the township 7 schoolhouses, and 430 schoolchildren—228 males and 202 females.
The first church was built on land of Moses Swallow, in 1863, by the Christians. The Dunkards also have a church in the township.
The first Justices of the Peace were William J. English and Charles M. Pearson.
Woodland was laid out in 1859.
Kathleen Grieshop, Clerk