Was erected in June 1837, being taken from Richland Township, and contained all of the county north of a line commencing at the southeast corner of Section 15, Township 11 North, Range 3 East, and running west to the southwest corner of Section 13, Township 13 North, Range 2 East. In June 1841, all of York Township lying north of a line commencing at the southeast corner of Section 22, Township 12 North, Range 3 East, and running west to the southwest corner of Section 24, Township 14 North, Range 2 East, was formed into a new township, called Wabash.
It is said that the first improvement was made in this township in 1816 by James Collins, who had a lease on Section 16; but it is certain that no permanent settlement was made till 1833 when Newberry York came to the township. About the same time his son Joseph York and John McDonald came. Newberry York was the first Justice of the Peace.
The first schoolhouse was a log building, which was put up in 1835 on land now owned by Harvey Bayman in Section 15. There are now six schoolhouses and 314 schoolchildren–159 males (one colored), and 155 females (of whom two are colored).
Religious services were held for some time in the schoolhouses, but the trustees, thinking the protracted meetings of the Methodists hindered the progress of the scholars, at last refused the use of the buildings except on the Sabbath. So, in 1838 or ’39 the Methodists built a church on land now owned by William Ewry in Section 18.
There are 38 miles of road in the township, 19 of which are pike.
Allen Stammen, Clerk